1/2 batch sugar cookie recipe
2 cups powdered sugar
1 Tablespoon meringue powder
2 Tablespoons water
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1. make sugar cookies, roll out and use heart-shaped cookie cutters to shape them. let them cool completely.
2. while they’re cooling, make the royal icing. mix together the powdered sugar and meringue powder in a mixing bowl. use an electric mixer while mixing in the water and almond extract. you’ll have to mix for five minutes or so, to help it thicken up.
3. divide the icing up into separate cups/bowls based on how many different colors you want. add food coloring to each and mix. one color at a time, load up a piping bag and outline the shape of the heart, then, flood the inside of the outline to color it in. repeat for each color frosting.
4. if you want to do a glaze to go under sprinkles, take the remaining white frosting and add another 1-2 Tablespoons of water. whisk until it’s runny and more of a glaze.
5. dip the tops of the cookies in the glaze and then flip them upright to dry on a wire rack. while the frosting is still wet, sprinkle your favorite sprinkles on top.
6. let the cookies dry overnight before packaging.